Diary entry 38

Year 2003
Fri, 02 May 2003


Dear Friends,

It's been a long time since I wrote to you last.So much has happened, so little has happened, but right now, I am in shock from the news of my good friend Leslie.I'm not sure what to do right now, who to talk to, so I'm writing this letter, to my diary.It is so important that we tell one another how much we love them.Each person that we meet in life is a chance coincidence, and a unique encounter.Each person that we meet in life is a living, breathing, loving human being. We often forget that dimension, don't we? It's easier for us to categorize people and see their surfaces only, as suits and ties, as record company staff, as fans, as stars, as Americans, as Iraqis.We are all the same.We are all so weak and vulnerable, lonely, and sad.We are all twisted and sick, misunderstood and in pain. Yet we live for those moments of parting clouds and warm smiles.I believe that each encounter with another human being is a chance to create these moments, and am more convinced today than ever, that "breaking the ice" and disarming our fellow human beings of their fears and isolation is the key to letting us live in harmony.We should all be able to be ourselves, and connected at the same time.Leslie was beautiful, rich, talented, successful...we all adored him.I can't imagine why he would, of all people, feel the desire to end that life.Yet at the same time, I can.It's so easy to fall so subtly down into that black hole, to get consumed by the darkness, and before you realize what has happened, you're trapped inside.We all know the darkness.It comes and it takes a hold of you like you haven't even got a say in the matter.It controls you.Every time I end up there, I am luckily pulled out by something, anything, and lo, I wake up as if from a dream. The darkness is gone without a trace, and I'm free.And in retrospect, I always find it funny how simple and easy it was to get out.It is simple, and a lot simpler, when you have people who are with you in your life.I'm not just talking about a wife, or a girlfriend, but more so about the guy who works the counter at the 7 eleven, the taxi driver, the guy behind me in line at customs...Each is a chance to help each other stay free and in touch with ourselves, to nourish the living, breathing, loving human beings inside the superficial shells of our bodies.Each is an opportunity for a parting cloud.We come into this world alone.We leave alone.But in the meantime, we are here together.Let's try and function like a network, a team, a family, and communicate with one another, because each of us is a part of the whole.These are my thoughts one day after Leslie took his own life.

Leehom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home