Diary entry 37

Entry VII/2001

Dear Friends,

I just finished my "Unbelievable" concert in Hong Kong, and what a night it was! To be honest, I am still reeling from the high of 12,000 energized fans surrounding the Coliseum stage from all four sides. At every angle, every turn, smiling faces, thousands of voices, singing along.
The two and a half hour concert flashed by like lightning. I actually felt like I was dreaming the lights, the sounds, the banners, the dancing, everything was all too beautiful to comprehend. I want to thank each one of you for giving me this unforgettable experience. All of my supporters, whether you attended the concert or not, I know you were there in spirit. AND a special thanks for all those gorgeous flowers from my fanclubs in Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, Singapore, Malaysia, and Japan! Thanks to all of those fans who flew to Hong Kong from all parts of the world just to see my concert! I hope you enjoyed the concert as much as I did! My fans are the GREATEST!!!! Thank you!!
And now...life after 2/2/02! It somehow never occurred to me that there would be a third of February! In fact, almost every waking moment for the past 6 weeks before the concert was geared towards that evening. From the gym, to the dance studio, to the nightly jog at Taipei's Sun Yat Sen Memorial, to the frequent meetings with my management company, and concert producers, to the band rehearsals, to the re-arranging of each song's live version, to the piano, drum and violin practicing, to the memorizing of lyrics, the meetings with my costume designer...the list goes on.
I must say, I did suffer from this "post-222 syndrome", and on 2/3 felt like keeping even more silent than usual. The feeling is hard to explain, it was a bittersweet "it's over", combined with the rush of "I did it!". I can't really share this feeling with anyone else, it's not like a milkshake, or a bag of popcorn. It was a long drawn out moment, like a deep sigh, like a sunset...a special, and unique memory, just for me.
That day, I did not go to the gym. And on the plane ride to Beijing that afternoon, I enjoyed a glass of red wine, my first sip of alcohol in 6 weeks. I earned that sip. And it tasted good.
After arriving in Beijing, I proceeded to shoot two new commercials for China, the first, E Lai Te sneakers, the second, Gang Shi Lung men's casual wear. I guess life doesn't stop after 222 does it?
Today, I am writing to you from Shenzhen, where I will be performing in China's Central TV Annual Chinese New Year's Special. This being the single most watched TV event in China, it is truly an honor to have been asked to sing live infront of the world's largest television audience. I can't help but think back to my days at Williams College singing with my a cappella group, the Springstreeters for audiences of sometimes a hundred or less. Or my days at Sutherland High School performing in musicals each night for packed houses of 700. In all the performances of my lifetime, I'm sure none comes close to 1.2 billion viewers...I am going to remember tomorrow for the rest of my life I'm sure.
And so, along with the new year, seems to have arrived a whole slew of events that have put me in great spirits! I feel so hopeful and optimistic for the future...one thing is for sure, we are off to a brand new beginning! Let's "JIA YO" together!
Happy New Year, God Bless, Gong Xi Fa Cai, Shen Ti Jian Kang, Wan Shi Ru Yi!

Love, Leehom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home